30. 30 years of Jenna Leigh on this planet. It’s still so very strange to wrap my brain around that thought. I’m not dreading this milestone birthday as a lot of people do, but it is such a turning point that you have to embrace it. But I guess I really can not start lamenting turning 30, when I still have 14 months before that happens. I enter my last year of the 20’s in August this year. August 18th to be exact (it’s an important date don’t you know!?)
I have always been overly ambitious, the things I’ve wanted to do in my life have ranged far and wide from going to the Olympics, to marrying Taylor Hanson, to becoming a famous singer. But when I sat down and really thought about all the things that I would love the accomplish in the next year, I let my imagination run wild but made sure to reel myself back in since I am now slightly more realistic in what I can and can not get done. I’ve tried to put the list in order based on level of achievability. The first half-ish are ones that I can definitely get done, while the second half and much more personal and require more planning and money and drive. I hope my list will inspire you to go out and write down all the things you want to do in your life, whether you’re turning 30, 40, 50, or not even out of high school. The world is an amazing place and it needs all the dreamers and doers it can get to make it special.
So, without further ado….
- Go to Comicon. In cosplay. I put this one first because, well, it’s already definitely going to happen. My husband and I are going to Philly Con on June 21st to meet his Doctor, Matt Smith and companion Karen Gillan. (My Doctor is Christopher Eccleston and unfortunately I do not think I’ll ever get to meet him in that setting since he is not the type of actor who goes to Con). I have since ordered a skirt off of Etsy to look like the TARDIS and John bought himself a fez and bow tie. Nerd Love ❤
- Organize all the family photos. I will have to post a picture of just HOW MANY pictures there are. I am a photo hoarder. When we moved out of my childhood home I snagged all the picture boxes and albums for myself. I like to think of myself as the family historian. But, they’ve taken over my bedroom and they need to be sorted. I wish my mom was around to help me, they are somewhat sorted. They are in in boxes based on years (like pre-85, 85-89, 90-93….and so on. I’m excited to tackle this project, but it will definitely require a good long weekend! Operation Stover Family Photo is a go!
- Cook 1 new recipe from my Food Network magazines and/or Pintrest a month. Pretty self explanatory. I love getting FNM every month and we have made a handful of dishes from it, but I have so many pages dog eared and we seem to be making the same things every week. It’s time to challenge myself, and I’m ready for it! Also, I have like 78457842564 (ok not that many) pins on the Food Stuffs board and need to start making this stuff. And now I’m hungry….
- Get closer to my goal weight. Yes, it would be lovely to actually hit my goal weight, but I have come to understand that it takes time and I could do with learning some patience.
- Become a better blogger. Aka not waiting over a month between posts.
- Painting With A Twist. It looks like so much fun and our house could use some more artwork. Who wants to join me!?
- Try Thai food. I like to think I’m relatively fearless when it comes to trying new food, there is not much I will not try once. I’ve tried multiple Indian dishes (homemade I might add), Chinese, Mexican, Japanese. Thai is one I have yet to try and I’d like to.
- De-clutter the house. This one sounds funny being on my list, but I’ve always been a packrat and I need to really go through all the stuff I have and start letting go of things I no longer need/use/wear. File this under emotional baggage.
- Get another tattoo. Sorry Dad. I’ve been wanting to get another tattoo for years, but I have yet to make a final decision on what I want and where. I still want to get one to honor my mom who passed away from color cancer 5 years ago. I’ve wanted to get my favorite song lyrics on me “Relax for a delicate few”, and I want to get one to commemorate my running accomplishments when I make them. At least one of these will happen this year.
- Adopt a dog. This is one that WILL happen. I’ve been begging my husband to let us get a dog for almost a year now. He’s always the voice of reason, and he said that we will after we get back from or Disney trip this fall. AND I’M SO EXCITED!!! Ever since we lost the family dog Patch in 2013 the house just hasn’t felt the same without dog hair everywhere and someone to snuggle of the couch with. Now we just have to make the choice between rescuing a Pit-bull (like Patch was) or a Boston Terrier (like John and I have talked about getting for a while). Either way, Zeus will being joining the Anselmo Clan this winter!
- Go to the ballet. My parents took my sisters and I to see The Nutcracker performed in Philadelphia when I was 11 or 12 and I would love to see it again now that I’m older and can appreciate it much more. This has been on my “12 Dates of Christmas” that John and I like to do around the holidays but we have never been able to go, so now I have double the reason to go!
- See another Broadway play. Preferably a musical. Preferably Newsies or Aladdin. But I’d be happy with Lion King, Hairspray, or Chicago. I used to go to NYC all the time. I was lucky enough to see Beauty and the Beast, Kiss Me Kate, Aida (my favorite), Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Wicked (original cast!) with my high school choir class in high school and Wicked and 42nd Street in college, and this past summer my sister and I finally saw Mamma Mia!. There is just something so magical about the Great White Way. It will forever have a hold on me.
- Go to the Renaissance Faire. In 8th grade (yes 1998) my school took a trip to the Ren. Faire and I fell in love with it. Maybe that’s where my love for Tudor and Elizabethan Era historical fiction comes from, but I have never been there since and I think that’s such a sin. I might even add going in costume. Just for an extra nerd point.
- Go to a Drag Show. HOW HAVE I NEVER DONE THIS!? For those of you who don’t know, I am ob-sessed with RuPaul’s Drag Race. I want to be friends with drag queen. (Preferably Manila or JuJu..but any will do. Except Laganga and Gia…no thanks.) But I love the gay community and I think that drag is such a beautiful art form that I must see first hand. So much sass. I just love it.
- Transfer all the family home videos from VHS to DVD. This one is pretty self explanatory. And I also stole the videos when I took the pictures.
- Start up or join a book club. My friend Lindsey has been talking about this for some time and I really think it’s a good idea. It sometimes takes me a while to find new books that I like, I tend to fall in love with series and when I’m done them I do not know where to go. I’ve re-read Harry Potter completely at least 8 times, some books over 10 times (like books 4 and 7), I’ve re-read the Percy Jackson series multiple times, I’m currently re-reading the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices. A book club would help me expand out of YA and Tudor historical fiction. Because, really, how many books can one read about Henry and his wives? A lot apparently.
- Do a Pin-up Model photo shoot. Just for fun. I would love to made up with my hair all retro and curled! And the fact that I don’t need to be stick thin to look sexy will make it a pretty empowering experience.
- DisneyBound for an entire month. Disnerd alert! For those who don’t know “Disney Bounding” is using a Disney character to influence your outfit. I’ve done it a handful of times, mostly when I’m actually IN Disney, but there is a challenge that the girl who developed the term does on her blog in March. 30 Days of DisneyBound. It’s something I’ve wanted to do but never thought I had enough clothing to make it work. It’ll be fun to see what I can come up with.
- Create my Family Tree. I would love to make a hard copy of my family tree. With Irish and German roots my family history is pretty interesting. I would also love to do my husband’s side as well. Irish and Italian! As you can see, history is another passion of mine.
- Complete a half marathon. This WILL happen. I’m really hoping to participate in the Philadelphia Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon next year. I want to get at least one Half under my belt before I sign up for the next major challenge, the Princess Glass Slipper Challenge in WDW Feb. 2016!
- Participate in 10 running events. This seems like a lot, but since this list goes from June 1 2014-August 18 2015….I only have 9 more to do! June 1st is completed the Girls On The Run 5k. The others on the list will hopefully be: Dash-n-Splash 5k ’14 and ’15, Broadstreet Run, RRHalf Philly, GOTR 5k this fall, Donor Dash 10k ’15, GYRIR 5k ’15, Tower of Terror 10 miler, and the 10th will hopefully be either the Cherry Blossom 10 miler or the Nike Women’s Half marathon in Washington D.C. (which leans me to….)
- Take a weekend trip to Washington D.C. I’ve been to D.C., but not for many years. I want to take the weekend and see all the war memorials, and the monuments, and the museums. History Nerd Overload! and if I get into either of the DC races, that would cross off two from my list! Score!
- Go to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. My husband and I are such music buffs. This is something the two of us would enjoy together. I know you can’t take pictures there-lame-but I would still love to see all the musical history that’s being celebrated there. I’ve always said that musically I was born in the wrong era. I would give anything to have seen Elvis and The Beatles, and the Stones, and Zeppelin, and all of those pioneers in person. I totally would have been best friends with Pamela des Barres.
- Sing karaoke. Why is this one so far down the list? Because it scares the CRAP out of me. I haven’t sung in front of anyone besides my husband since high school. Music is a highly personal thing for me and I’ve always been self conscience of my voice, even though I KNOW I’m decent.
- Ride a rollercoaster. I added this to make my husband happy. I’m such a wiener and I’m terrified of all rollercoasters. But maybe I’ll suck it up and go on the new Seven Dwarfs Mine ride when we’re at WDW in October.
- Take a class. Any class. I’ve been toying with the idea of going back to school for years. But I have no idea WHAT I want to do. But maybe if I just take a fun class it will spark something.
- Go to Las Vegas. Hopefully this one happens. Next year is the year that my best girls and I turn 30. 2015. Starting with Mean in Feb, then Ash in July, me in August, and finally Heath on New Years Day. We’ve been throwing out the idea of celebrating with one big huge party for all 4 of us. Vegas would be ideal…don’t you girls think? *nudge nudge*
- Go to New Orleans. I’m just DYING to. This is probably the one that will not happen before next August, but it’s on the list anyway!
- Go to a Saints game. This could happen, but probably not this season either. The only dates that could be possible would be when they play the Steelers in Pittsburgh or the Browns in Cleveland (which we could do and include the R&R HoF…..) But John has already said that I WILL get to a Saints game eventually. It’s so hard being a Saints fan in Philly. WHO DAT!!
- Visit my AHH. This one seems like it would be easy, but with JAHH being so spread out time and money just don’t allow for us to see each other as much as I’d like. (JAHH= Jenna Ashlee Heather Heather.) But at least Mean is back in the US so that’s better than Korea!
So that’s my list. I’ll be keeping you all posted on how its going every month of so, depending on how it’s coming along. Let the year of fun begin!
What’s on YOUR bucket list? Tell me!